Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Day 4 - The Great Wall, Diaoyutai

Today was the day I was looking forward to as it was the day we visited the Great Wall of China, or more accurately a tiny part of the Great Wall of China. How fantastic to see a structure that I have heard so much about. There are 5 sections you visit from Beijing and went to the Badaling section. Michelle reckons this is the best section to visit. We actually took a cable car to the wall as its mainly perched on top of mountain ridges. Down the bottom there are a few souvenir stores and the prices are actually cheaper here than the shops on the wall itself. We were only allowed about an hour and a quarter to explore and many of the older people just stayed put at the cafe. I went with Michelle and a younger lady named Geet who was accompanying her parents-in law and climbed to the highest point where a shop selling souvenir medals was doing a roaring trade. Considering they were only about $A2 each I wasn't surprised and got one myself. they even engrave your name on them. On the way down i heard some familiar accents and started chatting to a couple of ladies from Melbourne. Some parts are very steep, reminded me of when I climbed Uluru. Took lots of photos.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china_great_wall/scene/beijing/badaling.htm

After that we had lunch at a garden restaurant, Every lunch and dinner I've had has been 12 to 15 courses! On the way back Michelle went up to the front of the bus and sang us a song. This prompted some of the men on the tour and the young video camerman to get for a sing as well. Then they made me get up as well and I did a couple of verses of "The Letter", my debut in China. Everyone was impressed so that made me feel good. Arriving back at the hotel it was with great sadness that I had to bid farewell to my personal guide Michelle, who had been great company, I learnt a lot about life in China from her and promised to stay in touch. I would be back with the rest of the family soon. That night to another official dinner at a place called the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse where all the international dignitaries are invited to stay. The complex consists of 18 buildings and lush gardens throughout. It was quite a big deal to have dinner there.

http://www.cbw.com/hotel/diaoyutai/

No comments: